Monday, December 28, 2009

books and books and books!

this afternoon i ventured down to Tacoma for a bookstore shopping trip. i was hoping to find some of my textbooks locally (and hopefully used) to see if i could slash the price, compared to ordering them online through the school's bookstore. I know that the UW Tacoma campus does have a Project Management program, so I was hoping that some of the same books would be available in their bookstore. No such luck!

Then i went across the street to the Tacoma Art Museum, merrily hoping I would find a fabulous art-based new planner for 2010... and BIG DUH, they were closed. Art museums being closed on a Monday is not a new concept for me... but being on vacation and forgetting what day it is explains my problem! :) While I was waiting for the crosswalk signal to tell me it was safe to cross the street to get back to my car, i found myself thinking how WICKED cool it must be to be a UW-T student, with the art museum, and Tacoma's best art supply store literally right next door! (Hillary, i'm jealous!)

So then I drove up the hill to King's Books, wanting to find a decent bargain on a gently used copy of a classic novel for my 2010 resolution to read at least one. I have almost positively settled on The Scarlet Letter (but Ulysses keeps sneaking its way back into my mind)... I found a good copy of The Scarlet Letter, and also came out with a somewhat old looking copy of A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - which i've learned depicts the early years of a character in Ulysses... so why not? No luck on finding a good copy of Ulysses though.

So then I went to Half Price Books, hoping to score Ulysses, and crossed my fingers that they would have cheap copies of my textbooks too.... no luck on either of them, but I did come out with discount copies of the Golden Compass trilogy!... Then Borders was practically next door, so I went in and found a National Gallery Planner (for 50% off), and bought a copy of Ulysses. I used my teacher discount too. (what are they going to do, track me down and find out that I don't actually teach literature?) hehehe

but it doesn't end there! I went online and found my textbooks AND Mike's textbooks for cheap and decent prices on half.com! Assuming that mine comes with the promised CD and Mike's comes with the promised DVD, I think we're in good shape! (we saved loads of $$ from the list price on the school's bookstore website, too ~ even after shipping!)

I think for a follow up book based day, tomorrow I should see what I can do about finishing the two books that I'm currently in the middle of, to make space on my "now reading" mental bookshelf... I think I'm right about in the middle of Friday Night Knitting Club, and am somewhere near the beginning of the 3rd Harry Potter book. Unless I go buy the 4th one, I'll have to stop there for a while (and I looked at King's and Half Price Books today too, and they didn't have what I wanted... they had them in hardcover, but I've always preferred paperbacks. that' weird isn't it?)

No comments:

Post a Comment