Tuesday, February 15, 2011

storytelling

i have noticed a recurring theme in my life. this isn't a new observation, really, but one that i have been made aware of again recently. it has to do with my superb listening skills, which seem to inspire people to tell me all sorts of things. The first time I really remember this happening was in high school. I had a couple of friends who would routinely sit and tell me just about everything that was on their mind. (and I never betrayed their secrets).

Then, when I was in community college, I used to sit in a particular little alcove with several other regulars - and a couple of them would routinely tell me loads of personal stories too. (i never betrayed their secrets either - although come to think of it, it's probably in large part because i can't actually remember anybody's secrets. i have a terrible memory).

At the UW I had a student job at Suzzallo Library all 4 years, and a few people would come and chat with me, including my boss. If I was having a particularly tired day, I could just go sit in her office, and if she was in a storytelling mood, it would take up so much time that I wouldn't have any time left to actually do much work. There were another couple of student workers who would come and sit in my work area just to chat too. One of them told me I should charge like they were therapy sessions, since they did all of the talking and I did all of the listening.

I've had a number of friends since that will just sit and chat when we're together. And now, I'm spending a bunch of time in the library at work, and the librarian has been chatting up a storm too. She's asked me several times why she tells me so much - and i've confessed to her that it isn't her - it's me. I inspire people to tell their secrets. i'd probably make a great spy.

I've told my librarian friend that I never repeat other people's stories - except to my husband. (so if you've ever found yourself telling me far more about yourself than you ever intended, you can probably rest assured that I'm not going to repeat it anytime soon, except potentially to Mike, who has a bad memory anyway). I do rather enjoy listening to other people's stories though. I find it highly interesting to learn about the people I know. it's probably what makes me such a great listener - i'm paying good attention when you're talking, because i'm interested in what you're telling me. so chat away, and feel free to blame it on my strange ability to inspire you to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment