Thursday, December 23, 2010

Madder: Day 3

Below are a couple of photos from day 3. I'm currently 24 hours into the 36 hours required for the dye to sit over low heat at 40-45*C. I've spent my day watching rather odd movies, and checking my beaker of dye periodically to make sure the temp is still between 40-45*C. It took quite a while to get the setting on the stove just right, but once I did, it's stayed pretty constant all day.

This morning there was a little bit of pink foam around the edges of the beaker. The first photo was taken this morning when the dye had been on the stove for around 12 hours.

And the next photo was taken at about 24 hours over heat. the pink foam has disappeared, but the roots are looking thoroughly soaked and swollen. The dye seems maybe a little more purplish now.


I've got about 12 more hours before I can turn the heat off, and hopefully now that the temp has stabilized, I'll be able to get more sleep tonight than I did last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment