Sunday, November 14, 2010

from the dye bath comes a new color of scarf

I took my scarf out of the beet red dye bath this morning! The beet red dye bath actually turned from purplish red to orange within about an hour of putting my scarf into it last night. While I thought that was a little odd (and not what i was expecting), i think it could have had something to do with the vinegar that I added to the dye bath. I have read that the pH can sometimes affect the color of a dye. I don't know if beets are one of them - but red cabbage certainly is (to the point that it can actually be used to create your own homemade pH test kit).

At any rate, my scarf was a nice light orange when I removed it from the dye bath this morning. When I rinsed it, it lightened a bit, and became more of a beige color. It's currently hanging to dry, and I'm interested to see how much it will lighten as it dries. I'm also interested to see if it will stay this way or "fade" to the rose gray that I'm expecting.

For now, here's a photo of the beige-orange that it is this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment