Thursday, September 9, 2010

Limbo

I'm stuck in limbo!

I was displaced from my school at the end of the last school year (it means that i still have a job in the district, but quite possibly at a different school in the district). This is pretty much the norm for me - I've been displaced at the end of every school year since i started teaching. I realized this was not only a possibility, but a probability when I started teaching. Finding and keeping a job as an art teacher is difficult business, and I tend to sigh with relief and thank Minerva when I escape another summer without being RIF'd (reduction in force).

This summer was a particularly difficult year with displacements not only in my own district, but nationwide. Teachers across the country are losing their jobs; and due in large part to our very good union, no one in my district was RIF'd this year. But that doesn't mean we got off easy - one of our middle schools closed, and several others were seriously shaken up staff-wise. That meant a LOT of displaced teacher - TONS more than the norm.

Usually I'm placed for fall by mid June. Late June at the very latest. This time around I got an automated call halfway through July letting me know that they were still working on placements, and not to worry - I would hear something "soon"... well, a week before school started I still hadn't heard where I would be placed. I went into HR around that time for something unrelated, and decided to start asking questions while I was there... I was told that I would get a "call back" real soon... i've heard that song and dance before!

Well, merely days before I was supposed to go back to work, I did get a call - someone in HR called to tell me I'd be going to Wilson HS to provide "general support" until "a position in the district opens up that I am endorsed in" (i'm only endorsed in visual art, and so i'm not holding my breath for that one to happen any time soon).... as for the "general support" bit - people keep asking what that means... including me.

So far "general support" has meant just hanging out around campus helping out much like a TA. I spend most of my day in another art teacher's classroom. She teaches what I taught last year at Mt. T, and this is her first year doing high school. (if you're wondering, she got the position instead of me because she has many more years seniority in the district than I do). She's used to middle school, and seems to enjoy having me hang around her classroom. I also spend a little over an hour hanging out in the library to give our librarian a break for lunch...

overall it's rather boring, but on the upside i've still got a job, and it's been a nice and relaxing start to the year. but needless to say i'm rather anxious to get back into my own classroom, with my own students, and my own curriculum. (The new art teacher I'm spending time with has a MUCH different teaching style and curriculum than I do).

Quite honestly, I'd like to get back specifically to my old classroom at Mt. T. I'm homesick for it. It occurred to me that I'm feeling this way because this is the first time I've left a school I liked so abruptly. I liked Hunt, but I was sort of eased out of that position (I was displaced after my first year at Hunt, then brought back half time at Hunt and half time at Bryant, and then finally displaced and sent to Mt. T full time the following year). I specifically requested to be displaced after my year at Bryant. I flat out told HR that I refused to go back there. (thankfully, they were willing to oblige).... I couldn't get away from that place fast enough!

The staff so far at Wilson has been wonderful (I particularly like the principal)... but I can't help feeling homesick for Mt. T. I love the diversity in student population over there, I loved teaching painting and drawing, I loved my classroom (mess from the previous teacher and all), and I loved my colleagues. It was just a great place, and I miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment